Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Easy come, easy go.


I know I’ve said it before, and I suppose I’ll keep saying it until I die. If you’re a Christian, getting into God’s word is an essential factor you cannot afford to skip out on. For some insane reason, Satan has figured out, so clever and mischievously, a way to keep “Christians” from getting into Gods word. It’s been a few days since I’ve updated my blog with a new post and although it’s been on my “to-do list,” American society screams that school is more important…go figure. I was called out on my “lack of progress” by a friend and decided I should get my act together and priorities straightened out. So the real reason I’m writing about this is because it’s something that God has been showing me within the past week. What’s the point? Why should I be in my Bible every day? Isn’t that a little excessive? Of all the possible answers I could choose to slam down your throat, with scripture to back up those foundational truths, I choose to leave that aspect alone. My wonderful church is offering this class called “Self Confrontation.” The name speaks for itself. As I’ve only begun to dig into the first weeks’ lesson, God has already begun to shed light on many different areas of my life. I’ll try to make this brief: Sin is a constant struggle for every single person on this earth. As a Christian, since we have enlightened eyes, we are to, with God’s help, get a grasp on our sin and allow it to control us no longer. God’s word has the power to transform lives. Isaiah 55:11 (NASB) says, “So will My word be which goes forth from my mouth; it will not return unto me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.” First point: God’s word is powerful and it will not be hindered from accomplishing its purpose. Joshua 1:8 (NASB) says, “This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.” Second point: there is a reason God tells us to meditate on His word and there is a reason every adult who knows anything has told you to memorize scripture. There is a reason Jesus responded to Satan in Matthew 4 with quotations of scripture. We spend so much time doing what we want to do, making ourselves happy, that we fail to even look to Gods word for direction in the simple things life can throw at us. I’ve gone in about fifty different directions here; my thoughts are thrown out all over the page. If you’ve gathered one thing, I hope it’s this: Get in the WORD of God. It is your map, your life manual, your love letter. Read it. It’s really not that hard. Memorize scripture! You must, must, must do this. You will be SHOCKED at how God will constantly allow His words to flow throughout your mind in the course of a day. That’s all I got. Advice for the day: view others as Christ views them, we are all His children. Love them, because He died for the WORLD. And, as I’ve been privileged to learn in the past couple of weeks, never take what you have for granted because ‘easy come, easy go.’ And yes, I wear jeans to church.

No comments:

Post a Comment