Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How's Your Salvation Looking?


Salvation; what exactly does it mean when someone declares to you that they are indeed “saved?” It was made very clear to me, as of recently, that there are many individuals who have entirely different understandings of the word and in essence its’ true meaning. There is a verse in the Bible that talks about when Jesus makes his triumphant return to earth and raptures His people, there will be many individuals left behind who will be baffled and in a state of shock because they thought they had already purchased their one way, no refund ticket to heaven. It was made even more clear to me that many of those who will be standing with their mouth agape and that, “dazed, get me out of here” face, will be the very ones who sit on the pews every Sunday morning and Wednesday night. You may be thinking, “What in the world is this crazy girl talking about!?” Just give me a minute and hold your horses.  My Sunday school teacher had touched on this topic during our time this past Sunday morning. I was very convicted by it because I realized that I had been viewing salvation and repentance in an unbiblical, if you will, manner. Have you ever experienced a type of brokenness over your sin? Have you been sick to your stomach after you experienced a brief moment of how filthy you truly are? Repentance is a funny thing. You can be sorry but that doesn’t make you repentant of your sin. As I listened intently to the words that were being spoken my mind began to rumble as I examined my own life and my claim of repentance. (I did review my thinking and have my thoughts, heart, and devotion in check. It is never a bad thing to examine yourself spiritually – the Bible calls us to examine our lives and make sure we are walking the right way.) As I continued to dwell on the words that were being spoken, it hit me like a brick. People from my church will be left behind when Jesus comes back because they were never truly repentant over their sins. These people think that they are saved. They said a prayer, they went to church, they go to Sunday school and they even read verses or pray when called upon. But that doesn’t make them a person who is truly repentant. I believe that sometimes we don’t put enough emphasis on what true salvation is - which is a rescue boat ready to take us away from sin and God’s eternal judgment. You may even read your Bible and memorize scripture but until you become broken over your sin, throw it into God’s hands and hand over your mess, the life you’re living in the name of “Jesus” may not be what you have convinced yourself it is. My heart is saddened because I hope that no one I love is in this stage of life. God desires to draw us by His goodness to repentance. I am disgusted at myself. I am a sinner. I am filthy and vile, unworthy, selfish, and broken; which makes the grace of God all the more sweet! If you haven’t experienced brokenness and a true repentant heart I urge you to check it out. 2 Corinthians 7:9-11 says, “Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. For godly sorrow sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death. For observe this very thing that you sorrow in a godly manner: What diligence it produced in you, what clearing of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what vehement desire, what zeal, what vindication! In all things you proved yourself to be clear in this matter.” This is a life and death matter. If you claim “life” – it may be a good time to head to the shop for that tune up. Make sure you are living what you claim to be living. Let the love and goodness of God lead you to love others.

No comments:

Post a Comment